Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dissembling Aspire 4530 - Full Guide



First if your Laptop is still under warranty doing this may void it!

  1. If you are not comfortable with opening your laptop do not do it.
  2. I hold no responsibility for any damage done to your laptop.
  3. If you follow this guide carefully and do it meticulously nothing bad should happen to it.
  4. Do not handle electrical components at the metal contacts or circuit board, hold it by the edges.
  5. Read this guide once and fully understand it before proceeding.

1) Disconnect ALL POWER (inclusive of battery pack + AC Power Adapter).
2) Ground yourself to make sure you are free of static.
3)Remove all the dummy SD & PCI Card from the Perimeter of the laptop.


Unscrew the screws circled in Red.
Then using a flat-head screw driver and lever the catches boxed in Green.
The laptop support pads are boxed in Blue if any of them fall off reattach them with new double sided tape.



The front panel should pop up as shown.
Gently pry it out.

You should see the following:

The left box shows the White Connector which consist of VGA/Monitor Port + Webcam port
Above it is the LCD Monitor Grounding Cable
Below it is the Microphone Cable

The right box shows the Wireless Antenna Cable for extended Range Detection of Wireless Networks

Removing the Keyboard


Next pry out the keyboard gently
The Flat Ribbon Cable is the PS/2 Port
Lever the Connector and disconnect the Cable
DO NOT BREAK SUCH CONNECTORS ON THE MOTHERBOARD IF THEY ARE BROKEN YOU HAVE TO GET A NEW MOTHERBOARD !



You should see something like the above

Next flip the laptop around and remove all the screws circled in Red.
It is actually ALL the screws you can see at the base.

Removing the Harddisk


Next, Unscrew the screws circled in Red (3 from the Harddisk Region, 2 from the Wireless Card Region).
Disconnect the Wireless Antenna from the Card boxed in Yellow by levering it out.
Don't pull it out vertically !
I noticed in my room white wire on top, black wire below, gives better connectivity.
Disconnect & remove the harddisk by sliding it towards the right and pull it out via the black flap.

Next unscrew the screws circled in Red (3 in the Harddisk Region).

Removing the LCD Monitor


Flip the laptop around.
Disconnect the box in blue and unscrew the screws circled in Red.
The top blue box holds the VGA Monitor Connector and the WebCam Connector.
The bottom blue box holds the Microphone Connector Cable.
The Red Circle above the top blue box hold the Monitor Grounding Cable.
Notice there are engravings beside the red circles.
60 stands for 60mm screw the long ones
45 stands for 45mm screw the short ones
There are only 2 types of screw you will encounter in this guide.
When removing the Monitor make sure you don't pull it out vertically, you might damage the plastic cable groove.
Follow the groove and remove it.


Next unscrew the screw circled in Red and disconnect the connectors boxed in blue.
The blue box on the Left is the Audio Connector for the laptop internal stereo speakers.
The blue box in the Centre is the Connector for the Acer ShortCut Buttons Panel.
The blue box on the Right is the PS/2 Connector for the Synaptics Touchpad.
The blue box on the Top is the Power Switch and LED Light module (The green circuit board on the top).

Removing the DVD Drive


The yellow box indicates the CMOS Battery (replaceble) you don't need to remove it.
In Case you need the CMOS battery data:
Next Slide out the DVD Drive by pushing it out towards the Right.
Unscrew the screw circled in Red (There are 2, 1 at the Top Right Corner, 1 at the Centre) .
Notice there is a screw like symbol beside each of them.


Here comes the difficult part.
It is now possible to separate the casing from the motherboard but there is one obstacle.
It is the Audio Adjustment Knob Region boxed in Red.
The Audio Adjustment Knob is integrated to the motherboard separating it from the motherboard is impossible.
So you have to carefully push the casing down so you can create a gap at the audio adjustment knob to pull the motherboard out.
Start prying from the top right corner.
DO THIS SLOWLY!
REMEMBER HASTE MAKE WASTE !
DON'T BREAK THE MOTHERBOARD BY OVER-STRAINING IT !
ENSURE ALL SECTION OF THE MOTHERBOARD IS WELL-SUPPORTED!

Heat sink Removal


Unscrew the screw circled in Red and disconnect the connector boxed in blue to remove the heatsink.
I will not post a picture of the dissembled outcome as I had applied an excellent layer of Arctic Silver 5.
If I remove it I have to reapply it.
To get a nice layer it takes a lot of time and patience more then the time taken to dissemble this laptop.
In short
Remove the thermal pad on the GPU.
Clean the GPU surface, CPU surface and Heatsink surface with Rubbing Alcohol (Google)
DO NOT USE WATER AS IT IS A GOOD ELECTRICAL CONDUCTOR!
Spread high quality thermal paste over the GPU and CPU surface (I recommend Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5).
Replace the parts.

Removing the Bluetooth

Turn the motherboard around
The bottom yellow box is the bluetooth card
There is 1 screw holding it
The top 2 boxes is the unused USB Connectors.
For Future purpose if you suddenly need to add a Wireless 3G card which has internal USB for Laptops you can use them.
Note:
You don't have to remove the motherboard from the casing to gain access to the USB Connectors or Bluetooth.

Removing Internal Speaker and Touchpad

Turn the plastic cover you removed around.
You will see screws to remove the Internal Speakers and Touchpad.
Just unscrew and remove them accordingly.
Note:
You don't have to remove the motherboard from the casing to gain access to the USB Connectors or Bluetooth.

It took me a long time to come up with this very simplified guide so please show appreciation by clicking the google ads if it helps you =)

To reassemble it just reverse the process.

WHEN IN DOUBT ASK!

74 comments:

  1. HELP

    can i directly remove my heatsink by unscrewing bottom cover and 5 screw that hold heatsink to apply thermal past ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you can't it is blocked by other component you have to remove the board to dismantle the heatsink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe my speakerphone is going or has a broken contact. When I plug in headphones or into speaker system. Only one side is audible,

    The internal speakers works fine.

    How would I go about fixing this? I guessing I have to get the motherbaord?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I meant speakerphone Jack**

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just replace the stereo speaker set.
    The Speaker Set is attached to the handrest cover by screw.
    Just explore it and you will know how to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaker Jack you have to replace the whole motherboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh man. So I can't resolder the contact or anything? I had a Power Jack gone bad, and I just resoldered it.

    Is this not possible also?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What part is the GPU there on the board? All I can point out is just the processor...
    In my lappy... only my GPU is reaching 96C on load... if the GPU is under the fan then why is it that it heats up a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is under the aluminium plate on the fan sink module.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have acer aspire 4720g, and i think my heatsink is clogged up with dust since cpu is running at 99C at max loaded...can i do this by unscrewing the bottom cover only and clean it from there? ... i don't to unscrew the top cover since i think its complicated :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buy a Can of Compressed Air and spray into the fan the dust should fly out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, but i rather clean the dust OUT than blowing it IN deeper. So is it possible to clean heatsink (accessing from bottom cover) without removing it ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need to spray the compress air under the laptopso the dust will come out behind the exhaust or you can use a vacuum cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alright, thanks alot

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work. I am getting the courage to open up my laptop because of your work. I am not getting any sound from my right internal speaker. I want to check if it’s just a loose connection. Can I see the speakers without removing the warranty stickers?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, no other way to do so except dismantling the top surface.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there..
    I've got an Acer 4520, but i can't enter bios screen (F2) screen is just black.. have replaced cpu, ram hdd without succes..
    Any ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes it starts but not very often any more.. when i power it on it just lits the power on light and then its not possible to shut it down by the power button, have to remove powercord/battery..
    I think it is the GFX or motherboard which have a defect, an the its a new laptop..
    I'm loosing hope for this one :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Could be the GPU.
    It is one of those faulty G84 G86 Nvidia Cards batches.
    I had to send it for fixing and speciafically told the technician it was the GPU and it was fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. n case you are wondering, my first laptop was Acer Aspire 4520G.
    Had the same issue you did + other issues I caused I complained and so I got Aspire 4530 as replacement laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Weinter, first of all, let me thank you for putting up such a simple and easy-to-use one of a kind DIY guide for idiots like us out there. Thanks so much!
    I have an Acer Aspire 4530, the webcam works just fine after I followed your guide on fixing the webcam. But the real problem is my internal speakers. After just 6 months, the speakers finally gave up, and stopped working.
    At first, the left speaker stopped functioning, and now, both of the speakers are gone. It's not the drivers 'coz i've tried using the headphones and it works just fine.
    Well, how do I fix them? Do I have to replace the internal speakers?
    Please do reply to me at Ashtreyu_vox@yahoo.com, if that's okay with u. Sorry for the long and lengthy post. And I've clicked the ads like u asked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL Thanks =)
    Anyway for the speaker part there is no other solution other than replacement.
    Like you my left speaker died.
    At first it had a lot of static then it died.
    Luckily the right speaker still survived.
    It is either due to heat that demagnetised the speaker or the speaker cone got destroyed.
    Another thing you can try is putting a ferromagnetic material on the speaker itself, it helps to strengthen the magnetic field so the speaker can produce sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, it's me again. Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I've seen the speaker cone and it's still intact. I think it's just like u said... the speakers got demagnetized becoz of the heat... So, sorry for asking these stupid questions, but I'm a noobie and and idiot, so please bear with me.
    1. What type of speakers should I used to replace my old ones?

    2. What is a ferromagnetic material?

    Sorry for taking a portion of your precious time. And thanks again.. To show my appreciation, I'll click the ads again. ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Before my left speaker went out completely after I poke at the cone, I tried putting some iron pieces in the speaker itself.
    Then the speaker started producing normal sounds with less static.

    As for speaker replacement you have to get identical speaker replacement from Acer maybe try here.
    http://www.acerspareparts.co.uk/
    Helps if you live in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI, I have Acer Aspire 4520, problem is that, When i turn on the Laptop all the led lights lid up also the CPU fans turns on...but it doesent boots up i.e It dosent performs the POST ...test
    earlier the CPU fans use to run till my laptop had completed the boot process and comesto an ideal screen........i dont know what to do...

    ReplyDelete
  26. The 8400M G uses the prone to failure G84 chips your problem could be the solder failure of the graphics card.
    If you have warranty get a part replacement if not you can try solder reflow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi i had the aspire 4530 for over 2months now, and the LCD seems to have cracked by itself? Not sure what happened.. it was working at night and in the morning it looks cracked from the inside.. so it looks like i have to replace it?
    And do i have to remove the harddisk before i take the LCD out? will changing the LCD affect my built in webcam? Thanks for the help

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have to dismantle the LCD panel from the laptop body so you don't have to remove the mainboard.
    The screws for the LCD Panel is under 6 rubber covers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks a lot to the writer of this webpage. Reffering this I successfully dismantled my Acer Aspire 5536 G. A few things were different; 1) No screws to be removed below battery. 2) Some wires have a flip mechanism to insert/remove. Temps are down by more than 10`C. I used AS5 for GPU, CPU, NB and SB.
    Thanks a million....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey i am facing a big problem..
    i own a Acer 4520 and some of the things recently started.
    1. the Computer screen when blank. when i removed one RAM of 512 it started to work again.
    2. the DVD rom is dissapearedd not appearing in Bios too.. i cant even see them in BIOS.
    earlier if was gone i deleted the upper and lower filters in registory it worked but again it is now gone..

    please suggest me how i can remove\check H/w of the 4520 DVD ROM and what should i do for the RAM and DVDROM problem

    Thanks

    -Sohail

    ReplyDelete
  31. The method to hard reset laptop is remove all power sources, hold down the power button for 60 seconds then attach power and boot it up.
    Try to google for DVD BIOS Firmware update as well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It is also possible you did not insert the RAM properly.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for your post.

    I want to know is there any easy or simple way to change the CMOS battery without open all?I want to reset my BIOS/CMOS password.

    how can i do it.please help.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't think so since CMOS Password has to be resetted by a special manner.
    However this may help.

    ReplyDelete
  35. my windows cannot detect Atheros ar5007eg on my Acer Aspire 4520.. if i want to replace it, which part should i replace.. is it the antenna which is located right on the back of the notebook? thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  36. Replace the PCI internal Wireless Network Card.

    ReplyDelete
  37. thank u for the quick response.. I have identified where the wireless card is located.. now i only hav to find a new 1 at ebay to replace.. i owe you one.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How far do I have to disassemble Acer Aspire 4520 in order to inspect / re-solder power supply jack?. . . Thanks for your time!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Almost the whole thing.
    Because you need to get all the PCB out and power jack is on them.
    Anyway this is for 4530, some steps might differ.

    ReplyDelete
  40. My internal speakers stopped working after I heard a crackling sound, sort of like when you plug in external speakers.

    How far do I need to disassemble the Acer 5520 (which appears very similar to your pictures) to check if the speakers are disconnected somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I should also mention that my headphones stopped working at the same time as my speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I do not have the dissembly guide.
    But you should be able to identify the speaker.
    It is the 2 pin Red Black connector to the motherboard.

    ReplyDelete
  43. hii i want to upgrade my processor from 1.9 to 3.0 ghz, can i do that, and also my graphic card, plz help me out???

    ReplyDelete
  44. First there is no 3GHZ S1G2 Processor upgrade.
    The highest Turion 1 Ultra Processor is ZM-86.
    ZM-87/ZM-85 has different Hypertransport so it may cause overheating(I am not sure).
    Next Graphics is not upgradable.

    ReplyDelete
  45. does the acer aspire 4530 have a certain feature that shuts itself down in case of too much heat..cause mine shuts down frequently while im playing games..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  46. The issue I'm having with Aspire 4530 is unstable video display. Which started shortly after web cam stopped functioning. Replaced cam and motherboard. It appeared that had resolved issue and within a month the unstable video is back. Does not matter if multitasking or not. Have the most updated drivers installed. Any idea what might be causing this behavior? Thank you in advance for your timely response.

    ReplyDelete
  47. One other thing is that I also did a clean install of Windows 7 and for all of three days I did not have any video issues. On day four they are back. Entire display unstable. I can best describe it as the viewable area be it the Browser, Windows Explorer or whatever app. The GUI twitches and becomes distorted momentarily.

    ReplyDelete
  48. @Anonymous

    Yes there is such a feature and it is bad for the harddisk.
    I recommend turning on the fan(check my latest post) to full gear.

    @Richard
    Can you check the display connection?
    It is also the on same connector with the USB WeCam.
    Make sure it is secure.
    As for how to get there check my dissembly guide.

    ReplyDelete
  49. OK USB WeCam connection is securely fastened. The fan runs almost constantly. Have I missed something? Thanks again for your time. Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  50. Can you post your HWMonitor Screenshot?
    Google and download the Freeware.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi sir,thanx 4 ur reply. U plz tell me how can i upgrade my processor,and how much i can upgrade,like presently iam using 1.9 ghz and its not enough 4me.Thanx in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Presently iam using amd athlon x2 64.
    1.9 Ghz
    which one will be better for upgradition?

    ReplyDelete
  53. If you really wanted to upgrade wait until AMD Griffin cost dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I believe you meant QL-60 which runs at 1.9GHZ.
    Seriously for AMD CPU upgrades does little.
    QL-60 is not a very weak CPU yet it is not a powerful one either.
    If you upgrade to RM/ZM you won't see much difference unless you are originally running on Sempron.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I have a 4720z and suddenly some keys from the right side of my keyboard has just stoped to work but sometimes they come back. they are the enter key, backspace, down, left, right... can be the keyboard cable or something like that? Thanks from Brazil and sorry for my bad english :P

    ReplyDelete
  56. Just dismantle the keyboard and check the ribbon connectors to see if the gold contacts are intact.
    Anyway an Acer Replacement keyboard shouldn't cost over $20 over ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi i stumbled on this site and had a question. I disassembled my acer5240 and will be in the process of re assembling it but i came across the (Wireless Antenna from the Card boxed in Yellow - pic #7) and i have 3 wires black, grey and white.
    The black and white are intact and the grey one is not attached to anything. It kind of looks like there are suppossed to be 3 connections with the grey in the middle... If i did bugger it up do i solder it or would crazy glue work? Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  58. The 3rd Connector is for Wireless Card with 3 connectors you can simply buy an Intel Wireless 5300 and swap with your existing Wireless Card and attach the 3rd connector to it.

    ReplyDelete
  59. So hypothetically, I can leave it unhooked and not worry about it?

    ReplyDelete
  60. Yes it is for Wireless Card with 3 Antenna like this.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Has anyone tried to upgrade to wireless n? Which card works well?

    ReplyDelete
  62. Atheros AR5B91
    In fact all Wireless Card should work since Acer don't blacklist cards in their BIOS.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi there, I've got a 4715z and looks pretty similar to this one, hope you can help me. I need to replace the hinges (don't know if it is the right word) cause they broke down, both of them, and they seem to be blocked by the upper case. So, what do I need to remove? from what I can see, it's just the keyboard, upper case and LCD panel? I hope I don't need to remove any screws or parts from the bottom of the laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi again, I got desperate and started unscrewing screws, found out that the hinges were not blocked at all, only had to remove the LCD panel and very few screws (the hinges were directly attached to the lower case by 1 screw each). Well thanks anyway, reading your blog was what convinced me of trying it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I have an Aspire 4520-5458. Since it is similar to this model, is the DC-in jack fastened with a screw or is it actually a part of the motherboard?

    Thanks, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I recommend you to download and view the service guide here.

    ReplyDelete
  67. is there a shortcut how to detach the internal speaker.?

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hi Admin, thanks for the instruction!
    I have an aspire 4520 which has broken just now. I've disassembled the laptop and found out that the video card is burned. I've also detached the hard disk with intention to copy my data to PC, but I can't do that since the hard disk has a different port than in the PC, can you suggest me something? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Buy a Serial ATA to USB bridge aka External Drive Casing with Serial ATA connectors this will enable you to plug in the old harddrive and read it just like a external harddrive.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I have aspire 4530. I just want to change the left speaker. How should i do it without removing other things.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Because the speaker and the front panel is considered 1 unit the only way you can solve this is by buying a laptop speaker off ebay and reattach the wire and replace the left speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Sir,
    I have one aspire 4736 z laptop. I am facing a problem that during start up and booting it turns off suddenly,some times after multiple try if it starts it goes shutdown automatically after some time,if kept idle.Please sujjest how tofix the problem

    ReplyDelete